Thursday, December 1, 2022

Momento

 


Momento 

Abigail Lanza
Wood, Coconut Husk, Metallic paint 
2.5" x 2.5" 
 
This piece is based on a memory of my grandfather and I sharing coconut for the first time. We were outside on our outdoor swing. I was so small sitting next to him, he leans over with his pocket knife and asked if I wanted to try coconut meat. Me being five years old at the time, thought he was insane coconuts aren't supposed to have meat, they're fruit! He laughed so hard at my expressions and after some convincing he chucked off a piece of meat and I chewed on the coconut as we continued to swing. It seems like this memory could go on forever and I'd like to think this memory will always be how I see myself and my grandfather. The taller piece of coconut husk represents him and the smaller one represents me, utilizing size to show the significance I felt as a small child. The wood sphere is the shape of a coconut and the metallic paint represents his pocket knife. 




In Process photos: 









No comments:

Post a Comment

The Heart of The Tree

The Heart of The Wood Working with Wood There is something to be said about the woods—all of the nature surrounding us, our history, and o...